Thursday, August 19, 2010

I'm hooked

So I really have become addicted to biking and have gone at least 20 minutes for the last few days. I've got a few playlists to pedal along to as well. And the route through my neighborhood is a good mixture of flatland, gradual long climbs and quick descents, and if I go the other way around short dramatic climbs and long gradual descents. Though I really doubt the climb one way is considered dramatic, or a climb for that matter. It's uphill leave me be.

But you see the thing is after a week of the same route in any number of combinations it gets boring and that is the last thing I want to happen as I really for once am enjoying the exercise I get. So yesterday I found on my day off a very nice, reachable, scenic route that runs between 6 and 5.6 miles depending on how much I swerve around the animals that don't know the rules of the road. I'm looking at you Geese.

If you're looking for an easy (Depending on the winds) ride and maybe even some good food or a place to rest then look no further than Dug's Dive.

Dug's Dive is a fairly historic, decently tasty, very scenic restaurant right across from the Ohio St. Exit of the Father Baker Expressway in Buffalo. Dug's is also a convenient place to park, unload the bike, and start moving. To the South of the Dive is a short trip, less than 2 miles, to the end of the trail but it is very picturesque and ends on a small pier above the water. Going back the other way, about 100 yards past Dug's is a small fishing cove with a bike path that only lasts for a mile or two, but the view is awesome. Out one way is Lake Erie, sailboats moving by, the water actually looks clean and clear! The other is long fields covered in long grass, with a view of the Skyway and industrial city beyond. It's mostly flat, and the winds coming off the lake only cover a very small amount of the course, less than half a mile. As it is it's a decent workout for someone my size trying to lose weight, or for someone smaller than me trying to maintain, or even just have a nice ride.

The sidewalk path does go further down the road, though I haven't followed it yet but hopefully on my next day off I can head on down and see where it takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment