Friday, January 21, 2011

Music Moves Me

Today's post title comes from a song I learned back in chorus in elementary school. I was walking to class today and I started humming a song, and it took me to while it was a song I had learned when I had barely turned 10. I was astounded that I still knew at least a few verses of the song's lyrics. I never believed my director that I would remember this stuff for the rest of my life, and I guess so far she's right and I'm wrong.

The point of this post however is not just to reminisce about when songs were a hell of a lot simpler to learn, but to remark that music does move me, moves us, it's something that is in all of our lives whether we are really into it and devote our lives to becoming a part of it or just like rocking out at a bar. Think about it, it's rare that we don't have some sort of music on around us, in the car, in the shower, in the kitchen, working out, on TV, a song stuck in our heads, or you could go August Rush, and hear the distinct beats of the wind and of the neighbor kids playing hockey, and of the people walking around you.

And the sheer variety of it is staggering. There is something for everyone. Even for people that hate music, there are artists that have songs that are nothing but silence. The entire track. People listen to books on tape, they listen to comedy, or the sound of the ocean on 6 CD's for pete's sake!

I don't care if you listen to classical, prog rock, rap, country, metal, show tunes, soundtracks, eight tracks, rock, roll, bluegrass, or Gregorian chants. As long as you have music in your life, I'm a happy man.

Now playing: American Idiot (The Original Broadway Cast)

Yeah, it's actually pretty good.

Also, for your listening and viewing pleasure, courtesy AniMusic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toXNVbvFXyk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyCIpKAIFyo&feature=channel

2 comments:

  1. I currently have the Grease soundtrack in my car CD player. Listening to John Travolta try to sing is beyond entertaining. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. But he's oh so good at it! *vomit*

    ReplyDelete